Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Custom Fabric 2

I have been working on my design the last 2 days for custom fabric to be printed at Spoonflower
 
I figured if I vectored my original art work (Art Dolls) (see my last 2 posts) I would then have it printed on fabric and sew them up for plush Christmas Tree ornaments. 
 
I suggest for anyone wanting to try this out that you start with a mock up of it first!!!
 
I printed this first design onto a crappy iron-on transfer.  Because this was a trial of the design, I didn't freak out when all of the ink started flaking off when I turned the fabric.  ;0)
 
I am so glad I tried this first before ordering it.
 
Notice how I have a front and back to my art doll.  Well forget about lining them up.  I guess if your a master of sewing you could do it but me, no way!
 
My first design and design blunders
 
 
First mistake:  Back and front of art doll.  No way could I ever match up the seams.
 
Second mistake:  The feet are too close together.  That's a no no
 
Third mistake:  Background color
 
Fourth mistake:  Neck is too stubby
 

This is the final design I uploaded tonight.  Got rid of the back of the doll.  Fixed the neck and made the feet further apart and lastly made the background black because that's the color of the fabric I intend to use for the back of the doll.  This way you won't have to worry about the seams as much. 

 
Here's a screen shot of my order and of how many ornaments will fit on 1 yard of fabric.  After my order was complete, with shipping it came out to 18.75 for the yard of custom printed fabric.  They informed that it would be shipped to me in 7 days.  Can't wait!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment